Saturday, November 14, 2009

Conservative Principles Will Defeat Harry Reid

by Sue Lowden
Ronald Reagan once quipped that when you start referring to government as “we” instead of “they,” you have been in office too long. Not only is Senator Harry Reid referring to his liberal majority in Washington as “we,” he complains to reporters about the “smell” of American taxpayers when they visit our nation’s Capitol. Harry Reid has been in Washington far too long.
happy_harry_reid
While families struggle in the face of rising unemployment, the housing crisis, and falling income, Harry Reid has chosen to carry out the bidding of Washington’s special interests and his party’s extreme liberal base. He has proven to be completely out-of-touch with overburdened taxpayers in my home state of Nevada. Currently, Nevada leads the nation in home foreclosures and we are second in the nation in unemployment. And despite Harry’s promises, Nevadans continue to lose their jobs and homes.
In 2004, voters held another out-of-touch Senate Democrat Leader accountable for failing the American people and his constituents. It took the right leadership, conservative principles and the support of conservatives from across the nation to defeat Tom Daschle.  Now we have the chance to do it again.

As the opponent in the Republican primary that Harry Reid has attacked by name, I am the candidate that Harry Reid fears the most. Polls from Rasmussen Reports, Mason-Dixon, and even Daily Kos show me defeating Harry Reid by as much as 10 points. As the front-runner in the Republican primary election, I can defeat Harry Reid.
But this campaign is not just about Harry Reid, it is about electing a common sense, conservative advocate to the U.S. Senate. While a number of Republicans have announced their intentions to run in the 2010 Republican primary, it is critically important that our eventual nominee have a strong record in fighting for conservative values and the ability to actually win in November.
In 1992, a year Bill Clinton won in Nevada, I filed for office against a powerful, longtime Democrat incumbent in a nearly 3-to-1 Democratic district.  My opponent that year wasn’t just any senator: he was the Majority Leader of the State Senate, who previously served as the Speaker of the Nevada Assembly.  Despite his powerful position, I outworked him and beat him, switching the Nevada State Senate control from the Democrats to the Republicans by just one vote.
After running on my conservative principles, I was immediately voted into Senate leadership by my Republican colleagues as Senate Majority Whip and Chairman of the Senate Taxation Committee.
I took strong stands against those legislators and special interests seeking higher taxes and government fees. When pro-tax legislators tried to run higher taxes through the committee, I shut it down, earning the committee the nickname the “Senate NO-TAXATION Committee.” When the union bosses tried to force unionization, I served as the deciding vote in the Nevada State Senate to protect Nevada’s Right-to-Work status. I was also one of the original architects of Nevada’s Charter School law and the author of legislation requiring parental notification for parents of children seeking abortions.
When I announced my candidacy for the U.S. Senate, I proudly signed the ATR Taxpayer Pledge to not raise taxes and said I would join with Senate conservatives in fighting for earmark reform, as well as tax and spending cuts. I made it clear that I am a strong opponent to the pork-laden Reid/Pelosi stimulus/spending bill they passed earlier this year.
While I am running on my solidly conservative record, I am not a career politician. I am a successful businesswoman who, over the last several years, has seen an opportunity to serve and has found the right answers to our challenges in common sense, conservative principles.
Harry Reid’s answer is to take more money out of the pockets of taxpayers and bring those dollars to Washington.  He believes that Washington having and spending that money is more effective than leaving it here for families to decide how to spend it. I strongly disagree.
As a mother and grandmother, I want a better future for our kids and grandkids. Washington cannot and will not provide that better future. The CBO already projects $12 trillion of deficits over the next 10 years – and that is before Harry Reid helps pass the government takeover of health care.  In December of 2009, the Congress and Harry Reid will have to vote to increase our nation’s debt limit.  No doubt, they’ll support that effort so they can continue to spend more and run our nation further into debt.
I have taken on an entrenched, powerful politician in a difficult district — and I have won. Nobody else in the Republican Primary can say that. I have served our taxpayers as a conservative legislator, and I have been effective in fighting for conservative principles. I am asking you to join my campaign and help defeat Harry Reid.  Please join the fight now by signing up at www.SueLowden.com

No comments:

Post a Comment